Monday, January 19, 2009

It's a long walk to DC, but I got my walking shoes on!

Tomorrow morning we will have a new president... good thing, because I was about to move to Austria with my friend Carrie.... now I get to move to Denver instead! Austria would have been sweet... still may move there, in good time. At least now I don't feel rushed... So, this evening started with a great segment on NPR, an interview with Mavis Staples... love me some Mavis! Just what I needed, as this turned out to be a somewhat lonesome Monday.

Yesterday I woke up to Kyle on the phone (at 6:30 on a Sunday morning) and a "good morning, sweet pea" from the airport in Atlanta... on his way to Asia... Although early, it was a lovely way to wake up... That is how my Gram used to wake me up when I was lil... Me'mories... Needless to say Monday morning was not as fulfilling.


Anywho, during this Mavis Staples interview, she mentioned how Ray Charles used to absolutely loVe her mother's Sweet Potato Pie... She said how her momma used to put coconut in her sweet potato pie and that made it special... I got to thinking... Why wouldn't you put coconut in Sweet Potato Pie?!?!?!?... So, I stopped at the Asian market on the way home and got me some coconut!

Wha
t better way to kick the blues than with some comfort food!! Lonesome no more, I got to cooking.

I had some just now... and it was expectedly divine. I will never make normal sweet potato pie again! I never really make normal anything though... this recipe will definitely go in my cookbook... Tomorrow is going to be a really good day!!!!

This is the recipe that I adapted from my very first cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens, given to me by my sweet Gram...





Sweet Potato Coconut Pie with Gingersnap Crust

Crust

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups finely crushed Annie's Ginger Thins

Crush 1/2 sleeve ginger thins in a food processor. Melt butter in sauce pan; stir in sugar. Add crushed ginger thins, mix together well. Spread in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan and smoosh against the edges. Let sit for approx 1 hour to harden.

Filling

3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), or one 10-once can of sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground corriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon pimpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 slightly beaten eggs
1/4 teaspoon natural organic maple flavoring or 1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 cup coconut milk

cool whip or coconut ice cream on the side!

Scrub sweet potatoes and bake them at 450 for 50 min. Remove from oven, let cool, cut in half, and scoop out mooshy insides into a big mixing bowl. Mash up the taters so they are super mooshy, but still have some chunks. Add all dry ingredients to taters and stir together. Combine maple and eggs. Add slowly to tater spice mix. Beat slightly to combine or stir in well. Slowly add coconut milk. Beat together on low till combined. Pour over gingersnap crust and reduce heat to 375. Cook for 50- 60 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool for 30 min. Chill in fridge or serve warm with cool whip or cocunut ice cream!!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, I can't wait to try this recipe!!! Sorry for the lonely Monday morning, come down here and we'll have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete